Who Am I?

My photo
I live in a small town, where very little happens, yet I follow the world in hopes in that one day things will be different. I gather information from around the world and develop my opinions and then share them with others. Not in the hopes of changing minds, but in the hopes of producing thought.

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Amanda Knox-America vs. Italy-Right or Wrong?

Well by now the verdict is out. Guilty. 26 years in prison.


 

The global media has aimed this case on her, so that is where my comments and opinions will focus. Mind you all my comments her are my own and all are pure opinion with little or no fact behind it. I do not care, as simply I doubt that people read this. So it's more of a place for me to put my thoughts down. If you do read this and disagree then fine, you're allowed.


 

There is one underlying problem with this case.


 

  1. An American citizen being tried with foreign laws.
    1. There is only one way to have a fair and impartial jury or judicial system when it comes to nationality trials like this.
      1. There must be an international tribunal to oversee such trials. All members of said trial, including jurors need to be secluded from the media as well as family to prevent contamination of opinion.
  2. Only pre-approved media would have access to the courts deliberations.
    1. The reason behind this is that it would at least stem the flow of media bias.
      1. Yes, people believe everywhere that there is no bias in their system, and that the media portrays only what the truth is. Hogwash. If the media were so self-righteous then they would dig for the truth themselves and not just accept the scraps from the table.
  3. The judge, the jury, the prosecutors, and the defense would come from all nationalities.
    1. Some might see that as a conflict of opinion, but when people are put out of their normal routine, they act differently.
      1. For example, if Osama bin Laden were indeed captured, he would be tried and defended by someone different than his nationality. Let's say that he might have an American defending him. Or in the case of Amanda Knox, have a native of Africa defend her.
  4. When it comes to evidence, research and forensics.
    1. Joint nationality as well, true that the originating country would have had first go at the scene, but the moment that any prime suspect from a different nationality becomes prime focus, the originating country takes second seat.
      1. By having different nationalities working together you get the non-bias that is needed to protect against international conflict. Not to mention when different people work together for a common goal understanding and cooperation ensues.


 

I'm not saying that any of this would be easy, but when it comes to a case or any case of this magnitude where a whole nation is put on trial, and then it needs to happen.


 

I've been reading several articles today, about the Amanda Knox trial and the verdict. I have also read from many opinion boards as well. There is a clearly defined split. Those who thinks she is innocent and that the Italian courts are wrong, and those that think she is guilt and that the family of Knox are bullies and that the American court systems are wrong.

There in is the problem. When you become a citizen of a country, then you are agreeing to abide by their laws and their decisions. However, if you a visitor or transfer student, as is the case with Knox, then you are a citizen of another country and do not, or rather should not agree to be tried by the countries laws. This does not mean that a visitor can run amuck, but there needs to be an impartial judicial system in place, or you can never have a FAIR trial.

I can already here the questions aimed at America and how it has "detained" people of interest when it comes to terrorism. To put my opinion here, I do not believe that people should ever be detained without cause, but I do believe that if there is question, then there should also be a fast track for them to be tried or evidence brought against them. I do not think that Americas system is the best when it comes to litigation, but I also do not think that other countries have it right either. It all becomes a matter of opinion, and that is why I propose an international tribunal.


 

1 comment:

Eric Davidson said...

This Knox trial reminds me why I would never be a lawyer on either side of the system. There is so much room for misjudgment, or egregious error, that it would be difficult to sleep soundly every night.

Whose There?